How to Defend Your Right As a Tenant on a Wrongful Eviction

Regardless of how the eviction took place, you may want to fight back. There are several common defenses and counterclaims that you can use to win your case. Below are some examples: retaliatory eviction, non-payment of rent, a health hazard, and damage to property. In these situations, you can use a common defense to win your case.

If you’re being evicted for failing to pay rent, you may have a legal defense against the eviction. For example, if the landlord acted unfairly towards you, it could be that you were not living up to the rental agreement. If you’ve been forced to move out due to health or safety concerns, you can use your right of possession to fight the eviction.

A counterclaim can also be used to argue that the eviction was wrongful. A counterclaim may apply if the landlord failed to remove the previous tenant and a prior tenant was living in the property. It is important to note that there are many other potential eviction defenses. You’ll need to prove that they apply in your case in order to win your case. If you’re confident that your case will win, you can hire an eviction attorney and ask him to represent you.

If you’re being sued by a landlord, you can seek help from local tenants’ rights groups. Nolo’s Lawyer Directory includes attorneys who specialize in landlord-tenant law. Your lawyer can also help you with your case if you hire one. The best way to get the advice you need is to speak to a tenant-rights organization in your area.

A tenant can seek damages, if the notice to quit was invalid. If you’ve paid your rent on time, you can sue for damages. If the landlord hasn’t served you with the proper documents, you can get a court order that requires them to give you alternative housing. You can also claim compensation for lost wages if you were unable to pay the rent.

You may have other options for defending your rights as a tenant. You can use a rent-hold defense if you’ve had a long-standing dispute with your landlord and the landlord has refused to pay the amount of rent you owe. A landlord who fails to comply with this law can be sued for wrongful eviction. A court order can also help in these situations.

The landlord’s attorney will offer a stipulation in exchange for the tenant’s consent. It’s important to be sure that you’ve been given notice that the eviction was illegal. It is important to get a copy of the original lease. A landlord can’t rely on the stipulation in the contract. In the first year, the eviction is a civil lawsuit. For more details on eviction visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.